Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Not Innocent Until Proven Guilty

“To Be Black, Female, and Literate: A Personal Journey in Education and Alienation” by Leonie C.R. Smith



 
“It seemed that a grade of D was what was expected of Black students, and anything above that was suspect.”-Leonie C.R. Smith
After a few minutes of reflection in class, surrounding the topic of the quote, I felt compelled to blog about. We have two strikes against, we are black and we are women. I more than tempted to say there is a third strike….we are educated. See it seems a black woman should not expect to better herself outside of the kitchen. Many think it impossible for us to possess the ability to learn, let alone ascertain an education. There are so few black students and successful black students at that, in the whole grand scheme of the world. We know from previous readings in Readers of the Quilt, that black women compose 44% of the illiterate population. Yet when the small number of us strive to do better and commit ourselves to hire knowledge, we are met with criticisms and accusations about how we obtained our success. Smith discusses the immense racism that she unfortunately encounters in college. She was previously doing poorly in a class and chose to get help, as she rejected the idea of failure. Yet when she started to do well in the class, the professor accused her of cheating. Is it really so difficult to believe that a black woman can achieve anything she puts her mind too? Ignorant individuals such as Smith’s teacher only serve as motivation to me. We are all intelligent, scholarly women and I am sure each of you values academic integrity just as much as I do. We have nothing to prove to people like Smith’s teacher. We only need to stay truthful to ourselves and the journeys we embark upon. During a brief class discussion, I was amazed at the number of students who shared stories about teachers accusing them of cheating because of a “grade turn around.”

Another point I must touch on, as so many are intriguing, was that her teacher told her she should be fortunate and ever so thankful that she was accepted to Hamilton College. We each have our different motivations for the colleges we choose and why we all subsequently chose Spelman.

For me, I know that Spelman is a place to experience education like I never had before. For a teacher in any subject to relate how a black woman was affected, amazes me. However, the golden key was knowing that I was not accepted to Spelman College to meet a quota, rather I was chosen based on my academic ability. It is a great feeling knowing that I do not have to question why I was accepted. Nonetheless, Smith was a brave soul to stay in a place where she encountered so much hatred. One cannot help but to admire her strength and ability to persevere.

I hope that despite all those that discourage us, we continue to persevere. Those teachers will not be the last to accuse you or someone you know of something you did not do. However, stand strong with your integrity and head held high. For one day, we will be just as proud as Leonie C.R. Smith in our accomplishments.

Blessings to the future doctors, lawyers, educators, engineers and pioneers that I am fortunate enough to sit in a room with everyday.



-Britney-Myshante Howard

3 comments:

  1. I would be highly upset if I was accused of cheating for trying to make progress in a class I was failing. My story of going to a PWI school is the exact opposite never felt as though I was being discriminated against when I was in high school. I wasn't ever accused of cheating at any point of my high school years. The white people at my school all wanted to learn new black dances or wish they could be as dark as a mixed African American. I can remember one day in gym class one of my Caucasian friend came up to me and said “I wish I was as dark was you”. I immediately stopped what I was doing and I just thought to my self no this white girl did not just say that.
    By: Jnae Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you never had that experience. I honestly never experienced racial discrimination from a student or teacher until I moved to the states and finished high school in the south. I hope that future generations will have exciting experiences that will not discourage them from wanting to learn.

    Interesting that a Caucasian person came up to you and said that. Did you feel offended in anyway? Or admired? I can definitely relate with you. When I was about 7 years of age, a Caucasian girl I used to skip rope with came up to me and said she wish she was Black. I asked her why she would say something like that. We should all feel proud to be who we are. She said she felt guilty for the way white people treated black people. We were only 7 years old, what a conversation!

    - Britney-Myshante Howard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never understand that concept. Society complains about how we aren't driven and how we just don't care about our education yet they continuously knock us down and belittle us on our way up. Luckily, I attented a magnet school that was predominatly black. So I was surrounded by people exactly like me who all wanted to succed. So I was never faced with racial discrimation from a student or teacher. Some of my closet friends were the caucasians.
    -Crystal Harrison

    ReplyDelete